From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cups-filters failing to build
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:56:04
1 On 11/25/2014 10:41 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >>> You could check (before running emerge) if you see the "3.2.10" anywhere
3 >>> in
4 >>> your environment ("set|less")... or if maybe $PV or $S is set outside
5 >>> emerge somewhere.
6 >> Wow, incredible. I never thought to check my environment, but these:
7 >>
8 >> MODULE_VERSION=3.2.10
9 >> MODULE_VERSION_STACK=3.2.10
10 >>
11 > :)
12 >
13 > Yes. It's MODULE_VERSION, which is used in perl-module.eclass.
14 >
15 >> This was also affecting dev-libs/stfl for me; unsetting MODULE_VERSION
16 >> causes this to succeed.
17 > It can in principle affect many things inheriting perl-module.eclass, I'll
18 > check later what these two do different.
19 >
20 > The best workaround is probably to make a short script wrapper for emerge that
21 > unsets the variables and then calls real emerge. A real fix would be to rename
22 > the variable in the eclass, but that would mean fixing 1800 ebuilds...
25 Yes, I will just remember to do this every time I update. Not a problem.
26
27 >> Andreas, if this is a bug that needs fixing, let me know who to contact
28 >> get this dealt with.
29 > I'm probably the best address myself, but there is no easy solution. I'll
30 > think about it.
31 >
32 > Cheers,
33 > Andreas
36 Don't worry about it too much; modules is a pretty exotic package,
37 mostly used in super-computing sites afaik. I am just wondering, though,
38 why aren't all internal variables prefixed with PORTAGE_ or the like to
39 prevent this sort of thing?
40
41 Thank you for the help,
42