From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dhcp problems
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:28:55
1 On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:21:17 -0500
2 "Nick Smith" <nick.smith79@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > i have a new laptop that is giving me fits when i try to get any
5 > distro of linux installed. i was actually able to install gentoo and
6 > got it to boot (this is my first amd64 machine) but i cant get it to
7 > pull an ip address via dhcp i get this in the syslog:
8 >
9 > dhcpcd[6038]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCSIFFLAGS: Function not implemented
10 >
11 > i did install dhcpcd on the install so that should be working, and i
12 > do have the 8139too driver compiled into the kernel like i normally
13 > do. what am i missing here?
14 >
15 > thanks for any help
16 >
17 > Nick
18
19 I had similar problems with a new Centrino laptop. The wireless would
20 not work, neither would the regular network port. I first tried to
21 boot with the kernel parameter acpi=off. This worked for me, however I
22 then lost all acpi funtions so I could not use SpeedStep or see how
23 much battery life I had.
24
25 I kept searchig and found irqpoll as a kernel boot option. Using that
26 fixed my wireless up and allowed me to get my battery status. I think
27 it all had to do with irq sharing and conflicts.
28
29 Try booting up with the irqpool kernel boot option or the acpi=off boot
30 option and see what you get.
31
32 Jim
33 --