From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is KDE part of the system set?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 20:10:31
1 On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:34:09 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > Actually, it is, because you told it to be. To me, KDE is not a system
4 > > package, because I run different USE flags to you. Gentoo gave you the
5 > > gun but you pointed it at your foot :)
6
7 > I didn't tell portage to include KDE, qt, and a boatload of other stuff
8 > to be part of @system. Did I enable the kde USE flag, yea. That
9 > should be part of the world stuff not the system stuff.
10
11 Which is probably why the kde flag does NOT pull in all that stuff.
12
13 You can't on the one hand tell portage to build the packages with support
14 for some other packages, then on the other hand complain that they are
15 dependencies. Note the KDE is not and never will be part of @system, by
16 your own post that still contains 50 packages, it is your choices that
17 have created the huge dependency list for @system.
18
19 Save the output of emerge -epvt @system to a file, or print it out, then
20 work through to see which choices you have made that created this list of
21 dependencies.
22
23 Or accept that they were going to be installed anyway, as part of @world
24 if not @system, and do something useful with your life :)
25
26 > If I disable
27 > kde, qt and all the others then my GUI is going to be junk if it would
28 > even work at all.
29
30 Incorrect. You can install KDE without the kde USE flag, none of the
31 packages in kde-meta respect the kde USE flag.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Every time I jump on the bandwagon all its wheels fall off.