From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: When ls command fails but only on $HOME
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 15:01:02
1 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
4 >
5 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:28 on Monday 01 November 2010, Harry Putnam
6 > > did opine thusly:
7 > >
8 > >> Something I have not run into before.
9 > >>
10 > >> Following a major update still in progress I find the ls command will
11 > >> not run on $HOME.
12 > >>
13 > >> I can view the directory with emacs in dired mode but `ls' simply will
14 > >> not complete... never shows anything and stays hung indefinitely.
15 > >>
16 > >> Top shows 94% idle so its not from heavy system usage.
17 > >>
18 > >> The ls command seems to work anywhere else, and I see nothing peculiar
19 > >> when viewing $HOME with emacs.
20 > >>
21 > >> Running `ls' from a root shell against my user $HOME, is the same story,
22 > >> indefinite hang, nothing listed.
23 > >>
24 > >> I've let it run from both user and root shell for upwards of 1/2 hr.
25 > >> Still just sets there.
26 > >>
27 > >> I've killed the terminal and restarted both user and root shells. But
28 > >> still the same result... a `ls' against my user $HOME will just hang.
29 > >>
30 > >> In both root shell and user shell, once `ls' is run against my user
31 > >> $HOME, the command hangs but also cannot by interrupted. Ctrl-c will
32 > >> not stop it.
33 > >>
34 > >> It only seem to happen on $HOME.... how very odd.
35 > >> Anyone else seen that or have an idea what might be the cause?
36 > >
37 > > By the time the command hits ls itself, the shell has already expanded the
38 > > HOME variable. So it's unlikely to be the command and more something dodgy
39 > > with your shell.
40 > >
41 > > What shell are you using?
42 > > What is the output of "echo $HOME"?
43 >
44 > My shell is xterm... and was just updated to:
45 > Wed Oct 27 10:15:06 2010 >>> x11-terms/xterm-262
46 >
47 > echo $HOME
48 > /home/reader
49 >
50 > That recent update may be the problem. I'll back that out later to
51 > see, but right now have a bigger and more urgent problem getting mail
52 > back in order following a major update.
53 Sendmail will reject if the load is high enough. This can be adjusted
54 and if your load is 12, this is probably the problem. Also, make sure
55 the daemon is running -- you should have two daemons, the mta and the
56 other one (mssp) I think which reads the mclient-queue.
59 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
60 How do
61 you spend it?
62
63 John Covici