From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:08:47
1 On 31 December 2006 15:40, Mick wrote:
2
3 > The PC centric desktop on which M$ built their business model may be under
4 > threat. If the WebOS [1], GoogleOS [2], internet based desktop [3], etc.
5 > take off, then what will enable Gentoo to become a predominant system of
6 > choice both in the server and in the thin client markets? I don't think
7 > that Redmond will have much of a problem packaging a ROM embedded version
8 > of a thin client system and pushing it to all the Joe-public out there, who
9 > currently (mostly) blindly buy their products. Inertia may of course lead
10 > to their demise if they continue to market the individual desktop PC
11 > solution, but I wouldn't count on it.
12
13 This won't happen for various reasons.
14
15 In the business world, the main reason is security. Who will trust
16 an "Internet Desktop Provider" with their internal documents?
17
18 In the world of home computing, there are actually two main reasons. The first
19 is porn. The second is nearly photo-realistic games.
20
21 Another, not that important, reason is that there are vast areas in the world
22 where bandwidth is insufficient and far too expensive for it.
23
24 Uwe
27 A fast and easy generator of fractals for KDE:
28 http://www.SysEx.com.na/iwy-1.0.tar.bz2
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list