From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dell Precision Workstation Overheating
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 01:22:29
1 I was compiling Gentoo, as is custom, but found my old new server to
2 be thermal cycling wildly. The fans will turn on full blast and
3 machine check errors will be generated if I use approximately more
4 than one third to half of the cores. The cores then throttle
5 themselves, only to immediately overheat once the throttle lifts. This
6 seems to persist on Windows, though Windows seems to be much more
7 conservative in its CPU usage, and triggers MCEs less.
8
9 Any suggestions? I repasted the CPU and heatsink interface, and the
10 machine is not loaded with dust. It was hardly ever used. The MCEs
11 seem to be a "normal" part of operation, though less normal on
12 Windows.
13
14 Is there a way to at least mimic the conservative CPU usage that
15 Windows exhibits?
16
17 Cheers,
18 R0b0t1