From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:40:27
1 On 5/29/07, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm curious to know your approach to keeping your Gentoo box current
3 > without it becoming a full-time job. I'm not talking about
4 > maintaining servers - just your "daily driver", so to say.
5 >
6 > How often do you sync with the current portage tree and compare it
7 > your versions in "world"? Should one do this once a week? Once in
8 > two weeks?
9 >
10 > How often to you update major components, like Xorg, kernel, and
11 > system tool chain? As soon as new things become available, or, say,
12 > once a month or so?
13 >
14 > The reason I ask is because I often don't have a lot of time to devote
15 > to system administration on a regular basis but do want to keep my box
16 > updated as much as possible. How do some of you non-developers
17 > balance system administration with your "day job"?
18 > --
19 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
23 I have a cron job that does emerge --sync and another that does
24 revdep-rebuild -p. These email me their results.
25
26 At least once a week, I manually do
27 emerge -aDvu world
28 Unless there's something particularly weird, I say "yes" when
29 it asks if I want the emerge.
30
31 I have the PORTAGE_NICENESS set to 15 in /etc/make.conf,
32 and since there are 4 hyperthreads on this machine, I also have
33 MAKEOPTS=-j4. Together, these leave enough compute power
34 that I never really notice the load. Besides, it's easy to start the
35 emerge at the end of the day.
36
37 At the end of the emerge, I run etc-update. Each change I make
38 in a config file is tagged with a string that is easy to recognize.
39 If I have never modified a config file in the past, I accept all
40 changes -- I reason that if what the devs did the first time was
41 good enough, that is probably still true. There are only about
42 a dozen packages that I made any changes to, so it's fairly easy
43 to keep up with things.
44
45 Most weeks I spend less than an hour on administration.
48 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list