From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Alternative Window Managers
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:05:39
1 On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:47:05 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 30 December 2005 03:18, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
4 > <bss03@××××××××××.com> wrote about '[gentoo-user] Alternative Window
5 > Managers':
6 >> I'm wanting to experiment with some alternative window managers. I'd
7 >> like to have them available as separate sessions when I log in.
8 >>
9 >> I've only used KDE and Gnome in the past; they automatically are added
10 >> as alternative
11 >> sessions. I figured this would be the best place to ask how to set
12 >> these alternative window managers up in Gentoo.
13 >>
14 >> I have a couple of boxen, one that uses gdm and one that uses kdm. It
15 >> would be nice if the instructions were portable between both of these X
16 >> login managers.
17 >
18 > Thanks for all the encouragement an talk about the pros and cons of the
19 > various windows managers. However, can anyone address my issue of being
20 > about to select an alternative window manager from my login manager? Via
21 > the session chooser? I've never really had to set up anything 'cept KDE
22 > and Gnome and they do it for you.
23 >
24 This may offer some ideas. As Holly wrote, it's a butt ugly process.
25
26 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Activate_Graphical_login
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list