From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Usernames in ssh attacks
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:43:21
1 On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Johan Blåbäck
2 <johan.bluecreek@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I've always had usernames when it comes to sshd's log entries in
4 > auth.log, like the following:
5 >
6 > <time> <hostname> sshd[5926]: error: PAM: Authentication failure for
7 > <username> from <ip-adress>
8
9 Well, I don't use PAM, just key-based authentication only, so I always
10 see only the IP getting rejected since it doesn't even give them a
11 place to try a user/password :) It's just weird that it is refusing a
12 connection from user@domain rather than simply the IP. I guess they
13 could be trying to ssh user@××××××.net or something. The one with
14 [U2FsdGVkX19g32YZVKMsQkl+mouWITILOicY4Iq9OQo=] as the username is
15 interesting. I wonder what that's all about.