From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge xfce4 with installed lprng. :-(
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:01:23
1 Hi, Sebastian,
2
3 On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 12:07:35PM +0200, Sebastian Günther wrote:
4 > * Alan Mackenzie (acm@×××.de) [24.07.08 11:42]:
5
6 > > Why the 4 do I have to type xfce4, not xfce? Anyhow, that's a minor
7 > > point.
8
9 > Just a tip: maybe you should use emerge -s for such things, or eix.
10 > And iirc there were older xfce implementation besides xfce4 in the tree
11
12 OK.
13
14 [ .... ]
15
16 > > . I.e., it wants to override my decision to use lprng as print
17 > > program and put in cups instead. This is a bit of a cheek!
18
19 > > Why isn't xfce configured merely to install "some print daemon",
20 > > rather than specifically cups? For that matter, why must it install
21 > > a print daemon at all? Not every X user has a printer or wants to
22 > > print.
23
24 > > What can I do about this? I really don't want to have to install cups.
25
26 > xfce4 is just a meta package, meaning the only purpose is to give you
27 > dependencies on the real packages. And this dependencies are quite
28 > general to meet the most people's needs.
29
30 > Just look in the ebuild to get a starting point. And now by doing it
31 > myself, I see that it honors the cups useflag. It maybe enabled by your
32 > profile. So disabling it might resolve your problem.
33
34 I'm still very confused by profiles, though I obviously need to get to
35 grips with them. What is a profile, _EXACTLY_? Where in the
36 documentation can I find a description which says something like ".... a
37 profile is a directory which contains the following files" and then lists
38 them? There are lots of instructions to "set foobar in your profile",
39 but the only description I've found so far just says "A profile is a
40 building block for any Gentoo system" in the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook,
41 and then goes on to describe what a profile _does_ in abstract terms but
42 not what it _is_ in terms of directories and files. That section says
43 that I "have" the option of choosing another profile too, but not how to
44 recognise a profile from a random directory or file. I don't understand
45 how to select it.
46
47 I have a link
48
49 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/x86/2008.0
50
51 , set up as suggested in the handbook. Is .../2008.0 my profile? Is
52 this valid? There doesn't appear to be anything of substance there.
53
54 On the other hand the handbook says a few lines lowere, I should select a
55 profile with:
56
57 # ln -snf /usr/portage/profiles/<profile name> /etc/make.profile.
58
59 In that directory, /usr/portage/profiles, there are both subdirectories
60 (e.g. default-linux) and some files (e.g., make.defaults,
61 packages.builds). Is "<profile name>" one of the directories rather than
62 a file? It looks almost as though there's some sort of hierarchical
63 inheritance going on.
64
65 Please tell me that this is clearly explained somewhere.
66
67 Thanks!
68
69 > Sebastian