From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new printer
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 16:13:17
1 On May 1, 2017 4:23:54 PM GMT+02:00, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >I have an HP inkjet printer, which I bought very cheaply on sale.
3 >It works well enough, but I rarely use it
4 >-- it mb 12 mth between prints -- & the ink cartridge dries up.
5 >
6 >Probably, what I need is a laser printer, as IIRC toner doesn't dry up.
7 >There's a printer available at my usual store (Canada Computers) as
8 >below.
9 >
10 >Can anyone advise me (1) whether I'm correct re ink/toner drying up,
11 >(2) whether there's any reason to beware of the Brother model below
12 >& (3) if I buy it, how to I install the driver ?
13 >-- I'm used to using Hplip & Brother drivers may need a different
14 >method.
15 >
16 >Item Code : PRBR001571 Part Number : HL-L2320D
17 >Brother HL-L2320D Monochrome Laser Printer
18 > 30 PPM Mono, 2400 x 600 DPI, Duplex Printing, USB Connectivity
19 >
20 >Our Price CAD 99.99
21 >
22 >Brand Brother
23 >Model HL-L2320D
24 >Printer Type Black & White Printer
25 >Print Technology Laser
26 >Output Type Monochrome
27 >Print Resolution 2400 x 600 DPI
28 >Black Print Speed 30 PPM
29 >Color Print Speed No
30 >Connectivity USB
31 >Duplex Yes
32 >Max. Duty Cycle 10000 Pages / Month
33 >Input Capacity 250 Sheet
34 >Media Size Letter, Legal, Executive, A4, A5, A6, B5, B6
35 >Processor 266 MHz
36 >Memory 8 MB
37 >Function Print
38 >Copy No
39 >Fax Capability No
40 >Scanner No
41 >Scan Resolution N/A
42 >Auto Doc Feeder N/A
43 >Power Consumption Sleep 0.9W/ Ready 65W/ Printing 495W
44 >Dimensions 47.5 x 45.4 x 33.1 cm (W x D x H)
45 >Weight 18.10 lb
46 >Cartridges Compatible TN630 Black, TN660 Hi-Yield Black, DR630 Drum
47 >Manufacturer Warranty 1 Year Limited
48 >
49 >Toronto Downtown : 6
50 >
51 >http://www.brother.ca/en-CA/Printers/1/ProductDetail/HLL2320D/Specifications
52 >:
53 > Linux driver available
54
55 Can't help you with the Brother. Others might.
56
57 I got an all-in-1 colour laser printer from HP myself after finding ink cartridges useless again. The printer can be left for months and months and when I need something printed, it simply works. In the past 5.5 years, I only had to replace the black cartridge once. (Late last year).
58
59 Am looking into getting a new one that does duplex printing and scanning. Along with sending scanned documents directly to a NAS and/or email without the use of a computer. And the current one will then be relocated for use by family members.
62 Joost
63 --
64 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.