From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 09:59:41
1 Am Sun, 14 May 2017 01:28:55 +0100
2 schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
3
4 > Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 > > Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 22:02:51 -0400
7 > > schrieb "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org>:
8 > >
9 > >> Then there's always "sneakernet". To quote Andrew Tanenbaum from
10 > >> 1981
11 > >>
12 > [...]
13 > >
14 > > Hehe, with the improvements in internet connections nowadays, we
15 > > almost stopped transferring backups via sneakernet. Calculating the
16 > > transfer speed of the internet connection vs. the speed calculating
17 > > miles per hour, internet almost always won lately. :-)
18 > >
19 > > Most internet connections are faster than even USB sticks these
20 > > days.
21 >
22 > Wow, you must be living in some sort of paradise. Here, internet is
23 > more like being cut off from the rest of the world.
24 >
25 > But then, there's a manufacturer that makes incredibly slow USB sticks
26 > which I won't buy anymore ...
27
28 Okay, it really depends. I shouldn't say "most"... ;-)
29
30 I compared my really crappy (but most reliable yet) old USB stick to my
31 internet connection. My USB stick doesn't do 48 MByte/s, more like 5-10.
32 And don't even ask when writing data.
33
34 Even my rusty hard disk (read: not SSD) has a hard time writing away a
35 big download with constantly high download rate.
36
37 But I guess that a good internet connection should be at least 50 MBit
38 these days.
39
40 And most USB sticks are really crappy at writing. That also counts when
41 you do not transfer the file via network. Of course, most DSL
42 connections have crappy upload speed, too. Only lately, Telekom offers
43 40 MBit upload connections in Germany.
44
45 I'm currently on a 400/25 MBit link and can saturate the link only with
46 proper servers like the Steam network which can deliver 48 MByte/s.
50 Regards,
51 Kai
52
53 Replies to list-only preferred.