From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] problems trying to maintain inn for my own use
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 09:48:07
1 Hi. I use inn to fetch/post usenet news. I know its no longer in the
2 tree, but I would like to keep it going. The last version in the tree
3 2.5.5-r1 no longer configures, so I wrote an ebuild similar to the
4 ones that used to be there which I copied to my local ebuilds for
5 2.6.3. This configures and compiles fine, but gets linking errors
6 where it cannot find symbol HISTLOOKUP.
7
8 Now what is strange is if I just get the tarball and configure with
9 the same parameters and compile out of tree, it works fine -- at least
10 up to the point of make install. I would like to do things in such a
11 way that portage knows its there in case there is a preserved lib or
12 something that I need to take care of. I could not figure what the
13 difference is as to why the ebuild does not work and my out of tree
14 compile works, so it looks like I have two choices:
15
16 1. unmerge and just maintain the out of tree build or
17 2. Leave it there and just do a make update which copies the binaries
18 over the old ones. If I do number 2, it might be impossible to go to
19 the 17.1 profile, so I am of two minds about this.
20
21 If anyone has any insight into this I would appreciate it very much.
22
23 Thanks.
26 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
27 How do
28 you spend it?
29
30 John Covici wb2una