From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:18:19
1 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > Can you try doing
4 >
5 > dracut -H /boot/initramfs-<kernel version here>
6 >
7 > ??
8 >
9 > The man page from dracut says that -H is for the "current host"
10 > instead of a "generic host". Maybe the "generic host" configuration is
11 > messing up something with su that your actual host configuration
12 > needs.
13 >
14 > I use -H. As I have ben saying, my initramfs it's pretty up in sync
15 > with my normal system.
16 >
17 > Regards.
20 Notice, I make the distinction between Console and Konsole by making the
21 first letter capitalized. It kind of gets confusing. :/
22
23 I had to reboot so I made a new init thingy with the -H switch. It
24 works in Console but nothing root works in KDE. I get the same error.
25 Heck, Konsole won't even try to come up much less ask for my password.
26 Krusader asks for password and says that su is not in the path. This is
27 similar to what I got when I was in a Console too.
28
29 So, boot without init thingy, everything works fine. Boot with the init
30 thingy, I can't access things in KDE as root. All I do is reboot. I
31 don't change or edit anything other than selecting a different entry in
32 grub.
33
34 I use Konsole when I emerge and such as that. I use Krusader, since
35 Konqueror developed a bug, to edit config files. I don't care to switch
36 to a Console to emerge something or edit a config file. This is not
37 going to work for me long term.
38
39 Also, keep in mind, I boot the EXACT same kernel whether I use the init
40 thingy or not. All I do is remove the stuff the init thingy needs to
41 work.
42
43 Go figure.
44
45 Dale
46
50 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
51 how you interpreted my words!
52
53 Miss the compile output? Hint:
54 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"