From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stray dependency on virtual/x11-7.0-r2
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:34:39
1 On Sunday 17 September 2006 08:18, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > I just switched to modular X, and got to the point where the system
3 > comes up okay.
4 > I have a few remaining puzzles and problems. Here's one:
5 >
6 > When I do emerge -aDvu world, it wants to emerge
7 > [ebuild N ] virtual/x11-7.0-r2 USE="dri" 0 kB
8
9 I have to say that I am a bit curious as to which package would require you to
10 install virtual/x11. Please add --tree to `emerge -aDvu world` and show what
11 pulls this in.
12
13 virtual/x11 is a virtual package which means it depends on a number of other
14 packages but provides nothing other than it's dependencies...
15
16 > The migration guide says this can happen when there's an outdated package.
17
18 Sounds about right...
19
20 > But equery says there are well over 100 such packages that depend on
21 > virtual/x11.
22
23 As has been said before on this list equery is broken and unreliable. Last I
24 checked it had 44 open bugs against it. When a 100 packages show up for
25 `equery depends virtual/x11` it means that 100 packages have a dependency
26 that could be satisfied by virtual/x11. That's quite different from 100
27 packages depend on virtual/x11. In most if not all of those cases one or
28 several other packages would be able to satisfy the same dependency hence
29 virtual/x11 isn't actually required at all (at least on my system it isn't):
30
31 $ eix -e x11
32 * virtual/x11
33 Available versions: 6.8 7.0-r2
34 Installed: none
35 Homepage: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/
38 $ equery depends virtual/x11 | wc -l
39 387
40
41 $ emerge -uvpD world
42
43 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
44
45 Calculating world dependencies... done!
46
47 Total size of downloads: 0 kB
48
49 > And they're all up to date. I've been running stable so far,
50 > with very few exceptions. Am I really to go unstable with all of these?
51
52 Nope.
53
54 > This seems extreme in view of the fact that a great many of them are KDE
55 > things, but KDE seems to be working just fine.
56
57 Of course.
58
59 [SNIP]
60 Can I get away with just waiting for a while?
61
62 Sure.
65 Bo Andresen