From: Jason Carson <jay@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on the server side
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:25:45
1 I have been using Gentoo for my server for several years. Just a hobby but
2 I run the following services...
3
4 Apache, MySQL, Qmail, VSFTPD, SAMBA, BIND, Squid and Courier Imap.
5
6 Use Webmin for configuration and setting it up is easy as pie.
7
8 > The issue is, as you should already must have guessed, if its a good
9 > idea
10 > to deploy Gentoo in a server. For the first time, i have the opportunity
12 > install Gentoo on a properly set (almost pimped out) server and i wanted
14 > be sure i know what i am doing before getting on with it. Where i work at,
15 > the tradition is to go with FreeBSD (which is, without a doubt, very
16 > stable)
17 > but since our FreeBSD guru parted i've been juggling the idea of starting
19 > use Gentoo on servers instead of using it only on desktops.
20 > I have always found very useful stuff in www.gentoo.org, however, i
21 > have
22 > not found a specific server side faq. Does anyone know where i could get
23 > such documentation?
24 >
25 > Any pointers, opinions, faqs, insights, etc will be greatly appreciated
26 >
27 > best wishes
28 >
29 > Rafael