From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] realtek 8197 wireless card setup
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:58:06
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 00:08:26 -0500
4 Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > I think I'm getting closer now.
7 > I removed the driver from the kernel, and installed ndiswrapper.
8 > I got the inf driver from a guy from realtek, and used
9 > ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf to install it.
10 >
11 > Now, when I run
12 > iwlist wlan0 scanning, I can actually see my access point listed, plus lots of
13 > other local wireless networks.
14
15 That's good. It actually receives.
16
17 > connecting to it is a different matter, however, as the connection always
18 > appears to time out. I'm using iwconfig to manually set the ESSID, wep key
19 > etc. at the moment, and have tried the trick of setting the speed manually to
20 > 5.5M to avoid timeouts.
21 >
22 > When I try to run dhcpcd wlan0 the first time, I get Error, wlan0: timed out
23 > The second time I try to run it, I get an error because dhcpcd is already
24 > running.
25
26 Try the minimal approach first and configure it manually using
27 ifconfig/route and ping some host on your network (or the AP if it does
28 IP). If that does not work, there's something wrong with the driver, if
29 it does, the culprit is dhcpcd (vram USE flag?).
30
31 Start with WEP, if that works switch to WPA.
32
33 -hwh
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list