From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] IDE recommendations for writing C?
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 11:15:02
1 Am 05.02.2011 23:08, schrieb Mark Knecht:
2 > Can someone recommend a good IDE to write C code in?
5 Eclipse CDT. It is not as good as Eclipse JDT for Java but it is still
6 pretty good and gets you started really quick.
7
8 > 1) Something that can display multiple files in a project.
11 Multiple tabs and multiple windows. You can also place two tabs next to
12 each other for comparison by drag-and-drop.
13
14 > 2) Something that have some sort of version control built into it?
17 I believe there is something called a "local history" but I don't rely
18 on it. There are good plugins for SVN (Subclipse, Subversive), Mercurial
19 and Git (EGit). I've only worked with Subclipse, though.
20
21 > 3) If possible, I can compile right in the IDE.
24 It comes with a GUI make file generator. It is not great for
25 distribution and such alike but it is good enough to compile code while
26 developing. You can also configure it to use existing make files or do
27 other things when you press "build" or "run".
28
29 > I've starting writing something. It's hundreds of lines long in 1 file
30 > and I just messed up a brace somewhere which I haven't been able to
31 > figure out in vi.
34 If the syntax check doesn't help you and the error markers after
35 executing GCC don't help either, just mark everything and tell Eclipse
36 to correct the indentation (Ctrl+A Ctrl+I). Usually you can then see
37 where it messes up.
38
39 BTW: If you try it out, please just download it from eclipse.org. Don't
40 use the version from portage. It is a bit outdated, takes ages to build
41 and I also had problems with it in the past.
42
43 Hope this helps,
44 Florian Philipp