From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox et al. crash when attaching file in gmail --- dbus?
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:04:52
1 On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > WRT emerge -e world I had a few problems where glibc wouldn't build and
6 > tracking down the cause of that fixed my other problems. Could be
7 > coincidence, could be related. I rebuilt the toolchain once or twice to get
8 > glib going again, recompiled and my problems were solved.
11 Do you mind to explain a little more? How would I go about this? I have a
12 few packages that won't build, and glib is one. Over and over. gtkmm is
13 another. There is an upstream gtkmm that is said to solve that issue, but I
14 haven't gotten the courage to bump an ebuild to a new version.
15
16 How would one rebuild the toolchain?
20 > You say it works as root. This is a stretch but it's wicked easy and
21 > should be tried: try killing your profile. it's as easy as renaming
22 > .mozilla so firefox creates a new one next boot. If it's still broken it
23 > only wasted a minute, and if it works you're not banging your head
24 > needlessly and later on.
27 I have tried it as three different users, and have moved .mozilla, used
28 firefox2, firefox3, firefox3-bin, epiphany. The same thing happens. Moving
29 .mozilla has no effect.
30
31 My system has been riddled with these issues of permissions and (I assume)
32 dbus and/or hal issues, since when. The livecd was a mess: took several
33 passes even to get a working, booting system. It's getting better.
34
35 Thank you,
36
37 Alan
40 Alan Davis
41
42 "It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
43 ---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man