From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA wizard...
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 13:06:35
1 On Friday, 24 April 2020 12:13:53 BST Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 11:39 AM Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Applications can be rather particular regarding bitrate, bit sample
4 > > formats, channel configuration and other options. I understand Firefox
5 > > wants to have 48000Hz or it won't play. So, even if your DAC can do
6 > > 96000Hz, you may need to specify a lower bit rate in the above config.
7 > >
8 > > The mic may also need specifying a particular endianess format and this
9 > > may
10 > > need to be different if you are using some websocket in FF, Vs the discord
11 > > app directly. You could try S32_LE or S16_LE and various bit rates.
12 > >
13 > > The idea being to force alsa to use whatever format and rates the
14 > > application may need/want, rather than passing through whatever the
15 > > hardware is capable of.
16 >
17 > Will keep trying, but I believe the explanation is simple: they
18 > (discord, slack,...) don't care about linux. I found people
19 > complaining about the behaviour of discord even for pulseaudio users.
20 >
21 > thanks
22 >
23 > Jorge
24
25 I understand discord also offers a webRTC service, which ought to work with a
26 browser - so it should be down to the browser to communicate with Alsa.
27 Assuming of course the webRTC implementation by discord/slack/et al., broadly
28 follow the standard. The problem with all these proprietary apps is many tend
29 to do their own thing, breaking interoperability on the way.