From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:03:26
1 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 08:38:30PM -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >> Bruce Hill wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 06:29:07PM -0600, »Q« wrote:
5 >>>> On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:04:13 -0600
6 >>>> Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>> Gentoo had mkinitrd once upon a time, but it's now in attic.
9 >>>>> Somewhere, sometime, for some reason, initramfs (inital ram
10 >>>>> filesystem) became vogue for the Gentoo camp, rather than initrd
11 >>>>> (initial ram disk image), and mkinitrd got retired.
12 >>>> Is there Gentoo documentation for creating initramfs without using
13 >>>> dracut? I could only find documentation for doing it *with* dracut,
14 >>>> and that procedure required using genkernel. Surely Gentoo must have
15 >>>> an initramfs guide for non-genkernel users, but I couldn't find one.
16 >>> Do you understand that initrd.gz and initramfs are *not* the same thing?
17 >>
18 >> Don't they sort of *do* the same thing? Different method but still a
19 >> boot up helper thingy. This is why I started calling them init thingy.
20 >> There are a few init thingys and I just lump them all together since
21 >> they sort of serve the same function but in a different way.
22 >>
23 >> Feel free to set me straight tho. As long as you don't tell me my
24 >> system is broken and has not been able to boot for the last 9 years
25 >> without one of those things. ROFL
26 >>
27 >> Dale
28 > It's explained well here:
29 >
30 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initrd
31 >
32 > There are many things reported by the Gentoo Community, especially by #gentoo
33 > on FreeNode, such that you would think the entire world is governed that way;
34 > however, most of it is Just Not True (TM).
35 >
36 > You will read in that link that initial ramdisk images (initrd) became popular
37 > for kitchen sink (distro) kernels, so that "make allmodconfig" kernel images,
38 > with even more modules added on some distros (Slackware, for one example),
39 > could boot on virtually anyone's hardware.
40 >
41 > That's a basic kernel presupposition -- the binary distros ship a kernel that,
42 > hopefully, will work on any and all comps. Gentoo, on the other hand, doesn't
43 > ship a kernel at all, and expects you to build your own. I wasn't on the
44 > Gentoo ship when genkernel came along, but would suspect it was originally
45 > written to help those poor souls who were "trying Gentoo" and could not build
46 > a kernel on their own (since that seems to be the audience using it now).
47 >
48 > This thread has wandered so far off track that it isn't coming back. Wish I
49 > could figure out how to /ignore a thread in Mutt. :(
52 That is what I thought. It even says they are two different things but
53 give the same results. So, me calling them init thingys works fine.
54
55 "In computing, initrd (initial ramdisk) is a scheme for loading a
56 temporary root file system into memory in the boot process of the Linux
57 kernel. initrd and initramfs refer to two different methods of achieving
58 this. Both are commonly used to make preparations before the real root
59 file system can be mounted."
60
61 Dale
62
66 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!