From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Winter clock change did not happen
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 18:07:56
1 On Sunday 31 October 2010 17:03:32 Graham Murray wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > MSWindows changed it to winter time when I eventually booted into it.
4 > > Gentoo wouldn't show the winter time until I had first booted into
5 > > MSWindows. If the setting CLOCK="local" is meant to make Gentoo use the
6 > > hardware clock like MSWindows does, why it did not behave the same as
7 > > MSWindows with the DST change?
8 >
9 > Gentoo uses the "CLOCK=" value when it boots. It uses this to determine
10 > the initial system time. If you set to 'UTC' then the appropriate
11 > timezone offset will be applied. If it is set to 'LOCAL' then Gentoo
12 > assumes (and it has to) that the HWClock is set to the correct local
13 > time, including the correct Daylight Saving correction.
14 >
15 > So, if Gentoo was running at the time of the clock change then the
16 > system time would have changed from Summer to Winter time. However, if
17 > Gentoo was not running and you booted it this morning then it would,
18 > legitimately, assume that HW Clock had been set to the correct local
19 > time prior to it be booted. When you booted into MSWindows, it changed
20 > the time on the HW Clock to be Winter time (ie it put it back 1 hour),
21 > so that next time you booted into Gentoo the HW clock was set to the
22 > correct local time. With CLOCK="LOCAL", when you boot for the first time
23 > after a Summer/Winter time change, Gentoo has no way to telling whether
24 > or not something else (eg MSWindows or manually via the BIOS setup) has
25 > already changed the HW clock to Summer/Winter time.
26
27 Thank you Graham for your very detailed reply! I understand now why the
28 problem exists. I have used the registry change suggested by Nuno on Win7 and
29 will see what gives next time DST changes. I just hope that it'll work
30 without having *both* OS shifting the clock by one hour ...
31
32 The more I read this page[1] the more I am tempted to format MSWindows out of
33 this box whether the warranty is still valid or not!
34
35 [1] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html
36 --
37 Regards,