From: Robert Crawford <flacycads@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT?] ram question
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:02:03
1 On Saturday 14 January 2006 17:27, Ryan Sims wrote:
2 > I just bought a 512M stick of Crucial ram to complement another 512M
3 > stick...suddenly I'm getting tons of crashes, reboots, failed
4 > compiles, etc. I removed the new stick, and all is well, now I'm
5 > trying just the new stick alone, see if perhaps it was the both
6 > together...
7 >
8 > Something odd I've noticed, however: the new stick takes longer
9 > during the BIOS memory check...i.e. the old stick (infineon, I
10 > believe) the numbers go by essentially instantaneously. The new
11 > stick, however, I watch them tick past for a good second (unless I hit
12 > ESC, of course) This is true if the two sticks are in together, or if
13 > only the new stick is in. Is this indicative of something? I'm
14 > already pretty convinced that it's a bad stick, but I wondered if
15 > anyone could shed further light for me.
16 >
17 > --
18 > Ryan W Sims
19
20 If you got the Crucial stick from them, not second hand, it's very unlikely
21 it's bad- they test them at the factory- I've never gotten a bad stick from
22 them in many years of building computers. Does the Crucial stick by itself
23 cause the problems?
24
25 Have you tried changing which stick is in ram slot 1- that's the slot that
26 will control the memory HZ and timings. If they aren't compatible, you may
27 have problems. For example, if a faster pc3200 stick is in slot 1, and a
28 slower pc2700 stick in slot 2, you can have problems, as it will be forced to
29 try and run are a higher speed that it can handle.
30
31 I assume you have reset the sticks in the slots. What about overheating? What
32 about checking the ram timings in the bios. What about the power supply?
33 There's a lot of things that could cause this, but if your box boots and
34 runs normally for a short while, them problems start occurring, I'd suspect
35 overheating- maybe the second stick blocks airflow to the first stick- it's
36 unlikely, but who knows? Maybe you moved some ribbon cables around in the
37 case when you added the new stick, and disrupted air flow that way.
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list