From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting basic ALSA defaults
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:16:40
1 On 25 April 2012, at 20:49, ny6p01@×××××.com wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Just a shot in the dark here, Stroller, but I once had a problem with using
4 > a mixer app (not alsamixer, which worked). I couldn't get it to start, and
5 > it kept on giving an error like your's above for alsamixer. The problem was
6 > that the kernel module, snd-mixer-oss was not loading by default, and when I
7 > loaded that module, all was good. HTH.
8
9 Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't work.
10
11 I had to recompile my kernel for the new module, then reboot:
14 # alsamixer
15 cannot open mixer: Invalid argumentxmbc ~ # lsmod | grep -i snd_mix
16 # lsmod | grep -i snd
17 snd_hda_codec_hdmi 23052 1
18 snd_hda_codec_realtek 311454 1
19 snd_hda_intel 23052 1
20 snd_hda_codec 77939 3 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
21 snd_hwdep 6540 1 snd_hda_codec
22 snd_pcm 81875 4 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
23 snd_timer 20907 1 snd_pcm
24 snd 64619 8 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
25 soundcore 6858 1 snd
26 snd_page_alloc 8021 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
27 # modprobe -v snd-mixer-oss
28 insmod /lib/modules/3.0.3/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-mixer-oss.ko
29 # alsamixer
30 cannot open mixer: Invalid argument
31 #
32
33 I didn't really expect it to work, to be honest, as the difference seems to be entirely in the file.
34
35 If I start the music playing in one console using `aplay -vv file.wav` (i.e. the /etc/asound.conf file is present and tells aplay to use HDMI out) then move to another terminal window and run `alsamixer` then I get this "cannot open mixer: Invalid argument" error. If I then delete /etc/asound.conf, alsamixer works perfectly and I can mute and unmute the S/PDIF.
36
37 Stroller.