From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: where did lvm installation guide go?
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 11:31:31
1 On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 10:37:19AM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > Just fyi... the *only* problem that I have with this is that I have an
4 > *existing* system that has a separate /usr, and it only has that
5 > separate /usr because when I followed the original gentoo installation
6 > handbook back in 2003 or so, it actually had a separate /usr in the
7 > example directory structure layout, so I thought it was the official
8 > gentoo *recommendation* to do it that way.
9
10 Following the Gentoo original handbook at that time was the good thing
11 to do. But things change over time. What was true in 2003 might not
12 still be true today or tomorrow.
13
14 Things did change to the point that nowadays using an initramfs to keep
15 a seperate /usr filesystem is the way to go.
16
17 It's surprising you to have taken the handbook from Gentoo as best
18 practice guide to get a proper system and not beeing fine with the
19 recommendations of today.
20
21 > If I wasn't in this predicament, I'd just make a mental note to never
22 > install /usr to a separate partition and be done with it.
23
24 Honestly, I used to have create a dedicated /usr filesystem for a long
25 long time. It really was a big plus in the past. Except of some corner
26 cases, I don't think it worth the trouble anymore.
29 Nicolas Sebrecht