From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome 2.26 stable?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:43:42
1 On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 18:19 -0700, walt wrote:
2 > I run gnome on my ~amd64 machine and have had no problems at all (so far).
3 > IMHO it's safe to run gnome on an ~amd64 machine, but I've not used the
4 > unstable gnome desktop on a stable amd64 machine. Just from past experience
5 > I might expect problems from mixing stable/unstable in that manner. But
6 > I can offer no evidence either way.
7 I'm running testing GNOME on a "stable" system, with tesing
8 audio/video/gfx/xorg stuff.
9 Everything I consider "moving fast" is testing, the rest of the system
10 is stable. Works good for me. Just that I have to unmask more and more
11 base packages too, because they are a dependency of other unmasked
12 packages...
13
14 $ wc -l /etc/portage/package.*
15 593 /etc/portage/package.keywords
16 2 /etc/portage/package.mask
17 32 /etc/portage/package.unmask
18 23 /etc/portage/package.use
19 650 total
20
21 (cleaned number after checking for comments with
22 $ egrep '^#' /etc/portage/package.*
23 )
24
25 $ eix -I --only-names | wc -l
26 1194
27
28 Well... I wouldn't call a system with 50% testing packages officially
29 "stable" - though it is. :D
30
31 Bye,
32 Daniel