From: "Paul B. Henson" <henson@×××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] openjdk?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 22:23:16
1 So Oracle java has a crappy license now, and I see on the dev list
2 they're even talking about removing it from portage. However, openjdk
3 has no stable version, and the ebuild contains:
4
5 if use gentoo-vm ; then
6 ewarn "WARNING! You have enabled the gentoo-vm USE flag, making
7 this JDK"
8 ewarn "recognised by the system. This will almost certainly
9 break things."
10
11 Which doesn't build confidence as far as using it 8-/. icedtea is pretty
12 old. What are people doing for java needs currently? Abusing the Oracle
13 license? Running old icedtea versions? Ignoring the openjdk warning?
14
15 I've been running the redhat openjdk build under Centos for a while and
16 it seems quite stable, why does Gentoo still consider it not production
17 ready?
18
19 Thanks...