From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: external SSD problem
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 19:17:29
1 >> > Look at:
2 >> > /usr/share/misc/*
3 >
4 >> > to get an idea of the numberings for various
5 >> > hardware devices.
6 >
7 >> lsusb shows the following for my SSD:
8 >> Bus 004 Device 002: ID 174c:07d1 ASMedia Technology Inc.
9 >
10 >> I updated to hwids-99999999 but 174c:07d1 doesn't match any device in
11 >> /usr/share/misc/usb.ids that I can see. Could that be the problem?
12 >
13 > Hard to say. These sort of things are difficult to flush out.
14 > You do need to find a dev in this area and make inqueries,
15 > and just keep googling..... and digging. Look for a firmware
16 > dev that works for the company, or open up a trouble ticket
17 > with the company that manufactures the device (if you can find
18 > them).
21 >> I also noticed these messages in dmesg after removing and reloading
22 >> the xhci_hcd module:
23 >
24 >> Result: hostbyte=DID_NO_CONNECT driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
25 >
26 >> Parent hub missing LPM exit latency info. Power management will be
27 >> impacted.
30 > This stuff is complicated hooking up SD(hard drives)
31 > that are connected via the usb(3) buss. I use to have
32 > some usb buss analyzer software, but it was MS based
33 > and I do not have access to such fancy commercial software
34 > at this time.
35 >
36 > It looks like you've found the error trail. How to fix it,
37 > from my experience, is all about using googl until you find
38 > somebody with the right knowledge. I'd suggest going to the
39 > dev (kernel docs) for that part of the kernel for these things to find
40 > somebody qualified to really help you. Somebody to advise
41 > you who really knows what's going on. Read the comments
42 > for the various parts of the kernel and track down the maintainers
43 > or devs.....
46 > Sorry I could not be of more help.
47 > Good Hunting!
48 > James
49
50 OK I will report back with what I find.
51
52 - Grant