From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 14:18:07
1 On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:34:16 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On 28/01/2014 14:28, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >> Really?, Try that approach at a carrier network support center,
5 > >> where
6 > >> > new stuff is rolled out to cutomers without first explaing, warning
7 > >> > and offering up options..... It's shows a blatant disrespect for
8 > >> > the existing customer base. Nobody in business, treats existing
9 > >> > customers that way, imho. In industry, punks with that mentality
10 > >> > get *FIRED*....
11 > > Yes, really. People boot a distro's live CD, maybe install it, and
12 > > make quick decisions about whether they like it or not.
13
14 > James isn't talking about whatever the latest flavour of the month
15 > happens to be that you like. He's talking about the firmware running on
16 > carrier core, or on the black box installed at the customer's edge. Or
17 > the company portal that lets our customers drill deep down into their
18 > traffic stats or do monitoring or investigate billing.
19 >
20 > I work in carrier and that shit is sacrosanct so change it at your
21 > peril. I really couldn't care what desktop the user runs today as I
22 > don't support any of them, just the API we present to the world.
23 >
24 > I think you are looking at this from the POV of a desktop end user,
25 > while James and I are talking about infrastructure that the end user
26 > only gets to use, never change.
27
28 The question was about desktop usage, it was about moving from KDE to
29 LXDE. How things work in a completely different environment is
30 irrelevant, the rules are different.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Politicians are like nappies
37 Both should be changed regularly, and for the same reason