From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysql use flag witout server, using only client libaries
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 15:21:11
1 On Thursday 29 July 2010 16:54:45 Tomas Krasnican wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I'm sorry for my bad english..
5 >
6 > I would like to emerge some packages using mysql use flag (and mysql flag
7 > features, for example. php, dovecot, postfix, ...), but without mysql
8 > database server (applications will connecting to the mysql database on the
9 > another (remote) server). Problem is, when I set the mysql use flag at
10 > some package, and I try to emerge that, mysql database is in the
11 > dependencies list.
12 >
13 > I want to emerge that without mysql database server, using mysql client
14 > libraries only. How can I define that?
15 >
16 > Thanks,
17 > Regards,
18 > Tomas Krasnican
21 Short answer: you can't.
22
23 Long answer: you might but the devs are not going to help you
24
25 Huge answer: a mysql client has support for connecting to a server on
26 localhost. Apps like dovecot etc therefore assume the same. So the ebuilds
27 install mysql if you ask for mysql support and you get everything.
28
29 There is no exact meaning for the mysql USE flag, it is interpreted (mostly)
30 in whatever way the dev thinks it makes sense. Maybe this should not be like
31 this. Doesn't matter - right now that's how it is. So you could inspect each
32 ebuild you use for stuff that has mysql support and rip it apaprt to make it
33 do what you want. Repeat for every version bump.
37 Or, you could just do the sane thing:
38
39 # equery size mysql
40 * dev-db/mysql-5.1.46
41 Total files : 403
42 Total size : 45.03 MiB
43
44 It's 45M, not a train smash. Most of that is docs, support configs, other
45 weird shit that Sun thought was a good idea, client libs, common libs. And the
46 server binary.
49 You are running php, dovecot and postfix on the box. Therefore apache too.
50
51 Trust me, the extra 2M the mysql server takes up is not disk space you are
52 short off. Not worth the effort.
55 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com