From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [possibly OT?] Bash-4 mailcheck oddity
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:56:46
1 Hi list:
2
3 Finally upgraded to Bash-4 on my home desktop, and discovered a bit of
4 odd (as compared to Bash-3) behaviour with mail checking.
5
6 What I do:
7 In ~/.bashrc I have exported MAILCHECK=15, unset MAIL, and exported
8 MAILPATH to a long list of mailboxes. I use procmail to pre-filter
9 the mail into mailboxes before reading them, so the list of
10 mailboxes (except for the general fallback spool file) are all boxes
11 for storage as well as boxes for receiving incoming mail.
12
13 What happened in Bash-3:
14 When I start a bash session, when I log-in, nothing will show about
15 mails. However, if during the session an e-mail comes in and is
16 placed in one of the monitored mailboxes, an alert will come up
17 after the execution of the next command in bash.
18
19 This is my desired behaviour.
20
21 What happens in Bash-4:
22 As far as I can tell, the checking for new mail by comparing
23 time-stamps on the mail boxes still works as before. New mail comes
24 in, I get an alert.
25
26 What is annoying to me is that whenever I log-in now, after 15
27 seconds (presumeably due to MAILCHECK=15), Bash tells me I have
28 "new" mail in all 20 or so of the defined mailboxes. For some reason
29 bash is now assuming all non-empty mailboxes mean new mail.
30
31 My questions:
32 (1) Does anyone know if this change in design is intentional? If so,
33 is there anyway of turning it off? I just grepped through the man
34 page but didn't see anything helpful, but I may have missed it.
35
36 (2) Can someone confirm with me this is not something funny on my
37 end, but the actual behaviour of Bash-4?
38
39 Cheers,
40
41 W
42 --
43 "Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand,
44 "lollipop" is the longest word typed with your right hand; given
45 that you don't type in Dvorak.
46 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1063 days, 14:37