From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Masked package needs itsself ?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:32:33
1 On Wednesday 26 August 2009 04:37:07 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/26/2009 05:32 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > while trying to update my gentoo I got this:
6 > >
7 > > !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=media-libs/jpeg-7" have been
8 > > masked. !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete
9 > > your request: - media-libs/jpeg-7 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)
12 > > I read this as jpeg-7 needs jpeg-7 to update itsself and cannot cause
13 > > it is masked.
14 > > I dont like to update to jpeg-7 since this package is used in so many
15 > > othe rprograms and it is masked.
16 >
17 > Don't mask it. Install it, but also install media-libs/jpeg-compat
18 > alongside it so packages won't break.
19
20 I'm having a hard time imagining how a package like jpeg could cause breakage.
21
22 Such breakage would cause half the apps on any typical workstation to have to
23 be rebuilt or worse - recoded.
24 Surely, surely not?
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com