From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Run command after root mounted ro?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 19:51:33
1 Am 09.08.2011 21:30, schrieb Daniel Frey:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > I discovered a possible reason for mdadm always marking my raid array as
5 > bad on reboot. The problem is I don't know how to check for the issue.
6 >
7 > When using root on a native mdadm raid, the kernel handles the array
8 > state transition at shutdown, so it's not a big deal. However, it's
9 > different when using external metadata - mdadm must be called before the
10 > reboot.
11 >
12 > Apparently mdadm must be called after the root filesystem is mounted
13 > read-only. Then it can mark the array as clean and not rebuild every
14 > single reboot.
15 >
16 > Where do I check this? The /etc/init.d/mdadm script happens well before
17 > root is mounted read-only.
18 >
19 > Apparently `mdadm --wait-clean --scan` needs to be called so the
20 > external metadata is updated correctly. If you use this command with a
21 > native mdadm raid it does nothing, but it's critical apparently to the
22 > health of other metadata types.
23 >
24 > I've grepped through /etc/init.d/ and found nothing.
25 >
26 > Dan
29 Remounting root read-only is done by an init script called mount-ro
30 which is started in runlevel shutdown. Try to add a custom init script
31 to your /etc/init.d directory with the following content:
32
33 #!/sbin/runscript
34 depend()
35 {
36 after mount-ro
37 }
38 start()
39 {
40 ebegin 'Shutting down mdadm'
41 mdadm --wait-clean --scan
42 eend $?
43 }
44
45 Add it to the runlevel with `rc-update add <your-script> shutdown` and
46 don't forget to mark it executable.
47
48 Disclaimer: I've not tried this (obviously) and if the script eats your
49 dog and wreaks your system, it is entirely your fault ;)
50
51 Hope this helps,
52 Florian Philipp