From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Understanding fstrim...
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 09:22:58
1 > My SSD (NVme/M2) is ext4 formatted and I found articles on the
2 > internet, that it is neither a good idea to activate the "discard"
3 > option at mount time nor to do a fstrim either at each file deletion
4 > no triggered by a cron job.
5
6 I have no desire to enter the whole performance/lifetime debate; I'd
7 just like to point out that one very real consequence of using fstrim
8 (or mounting with the discard option) that I haven't seen mentioned
9 often is that it makes the contents of any removed files Truly Gone(tm).
10
11 No more extundelete to save your back when you mistakenly rm something
12 that you haven't backed up for a while...
13
14 andrea