From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA wizard...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 21:26:53
1 On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 1:50 PM Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 9:23 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 1:06 PM Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
8 wrote:
9 > > >
10 >
11 > > Some reading I did about people having problems similar to yours with
12 discord and zoom suggested that some of these aps are compiled to __only__
13 support pulseaudio and then they supply it if it's not already on the
14 system. Even though you don't build it using a specific portage entry in
15 your world file doesn't mean it's not on your system if it was buried in
16 the zoom/discord code.
17 >
18 > Hummm... But then discord would not complain about not being able to
19 > initialize audio?
20
21 You're probably right unless it looks for pulseaudio, cannot find it, and
22 tried to do Alsa and then fails. I might make assumptions about Alsa that
23 aren't correct or possibly there's something about this specific
24 Behringer device that doesn't support something required in application
25 initialization. Who knows? (Certainly not you and I!) ;-)
28 > > 1) Run 'pulseaudio' at the command line to check
29 > There is no such thing (if it were hidden in some app it would not be
30 > in the PATH, anyway)
31 > And I regularly check what's cooking, with "ps axf".
32
33 Sounds correct unless it was the discord application path. But I suspect
34 you're correct.
38 > > Any 'real' pulseaudio build can be configured to not 'autospawn' via
39 it's config files. That way people who don't want it, or think they don't,
40 can have it on the system but run it only when they need it and shut it
41 down when they don't. I did that for awhile. That sort of setup might be
42 more acceptable for your needs and would allow you to build it and manage
43 it yourself. I don't know. Something to consider. On Gentoo I wouldn't be
44 fearful of building it and trying it out. Not sure what flags you'd want to
45 enable or whether you'll end up in some sort of dependency hell as can
46 happen with this sort of stuff on Gentoo.
47 >
48 > Yes, stuff to learn, if possible. (But dependency hell is a definite
49 > possibility, not because Gentoo but due to the mindset that lurks
50 > beneath pulseaudio & friends)
51
52 I was just fiddling with pavucontrol-qt on my system. I found it easy to at
53 least switch application audio from one sound to another on the fly. It
54 mixes multiple applications to a single sound card correctly and let's me
55 adjust volume for each application. Not sure if it is able to store away
56 settings for that sort of stuff, it probably is though. I think it could be
57 useful if I really learned how to use it, but in my case keeping it
58 completely away from my high-end audio flow is super critical as it adds
59 latency and cannot improve audio quality coming from a high-end microphone
60 and preamp micing a guitar.
61
62 Anyway, not sure there's much more to add to this thread. It's pretty much
63 run it's course. If you find a reliable solution to this problem I hope
64 you'll report back. I suspect this thread will end up with a number of hits
65 for people searching for answers to this question. (Too bad we don't have
66 any!!!) ;-)
67
68 Over and out.
69