From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel 2.6.25-r6 oddities; is this kernel really ready for stable?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:14:14
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > I run gentoo x86 stable, so that I usually avoid this sort of thing.
3 >
4 > This kernel, however, looks balky to me, because it's reporting
5 > warnings and other oddities during compilation. I don't like warnings
6 > at any time, and with the kernel's make wrappers cleaning up the
7 > output they tend to stand out.
8 >
9 > Here's what I get:
10 > -- various type/attribute warnings
11 > -- reports of deprecated elements
12 > -- a report of "section mismatches", and instructions to use "make
13 > CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y" to find details.
14 >
15 > All that being said, the compilation completes, and I can boot it. I
16 > don't know the cause, but I have been unable to get vmware-server
17 > running on it, and I'm going back to the previous kernel for that
18 > reason.
19
20 I hope you're not implying that a kernel should not be declared stable
21 simply because a vmware product lags behind in kernel support? vmware 4
22 lacks support for kernel 2.6 alltogether, maybe we should only have 2.4
23 stable because of that.