From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: OT: Mapping random numbers (PRNG)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 22:07:05
1 On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [ ... ]
3 > I cannot follow your reasoning here - but I'd like to learn. Actually, I ran
4 > this multiple times and never saw long sets of the same character, even no
5 > short sets of the same character. The 0 or 1 is always rolled over into the
6 > next random addition.
7
8 That doesn't matter. Take a non-negative integer N; if you flip a coin
9 an infinite number of times, then the probability of the coin landing
10 on the same face N times in a row is 1. This means that it is
11 *guaranteed* to happen, and it *will* happen for any N you want:
12 1,000,000, a thousand billions, a gazillion. That is a mathematical
13 fact.
14
15 This of course is a consequence of "infinite" being really really
16 large, but it means that technically you cannot rule a RNG as broken
17 only because you saw that it produced the same result N times, which
18 is the crux of the Dilbert joke.
19
20 In practice, of course, it's a big sign that something is wrong. But
21 there is a non-zero probability that it's actually correct.
22
23 Because with randomness, you can never be sure.
24
25 Regards.
26 --
27 Canek Peláez Valdés
28 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias