From: victor romanchuk <rom@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About this graphite stuff
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:21:45
1 Alex Schuster wrote, at 01/29/2012 11:23 PM:
2 > What are your impressions on this? Is it fun? Will there be a noticeable
3 > speed difference? Do packages fail to build? We just had a 'Graphite
4 > causing trouble' thread here, the problem was that dev-libs/cloog-ppl
5 > has to be rebuilt when dev-libs/ppl has been updated. Can there be other
6 > problems, which would make me waste much more time than I could
7 > possibly gain by using these optimizations?
10 i'm using graphite on core-i7 (950), x86_64 since the release of gcc-4.4.5 and
11 consider it as 'just fun' - i did not observe significant speed difference but
12 it should depend on a software you're going to 'graphitize'. things installed on
13 my desktop are mostly for development (emacs, gdb, *sql, php, perl) with trivial
14 multimedia (mplayer with gnome frontend), a set of web browsers and ordinary
15 office framework: thunderbird, pidgin and libreoffice
16
17 just for reference these are CFLAGS from my /etc/make.conf:
18
19 CFLAGS="-O2 -g0 -march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -mpopcnt -msahf \
20 -ftree-loop-distribution -ftree-loop-linear -mmmx \
21 -floop-interchange -floop-strip-mine -floop-block -pipe"
22
23 i do not use 'native' flag because that machine acts as distcc server for
24 several smaller core-i<x> computers
25
26 the only graphite incompatibility i've detected is x11-wm/compiz; however this
27 is easily worked around using portage environment quirks in
28 /etc/portage/env/x11-wm/compiz:
29
30 CFLAGS="-O2 -g0 -march=core2 -msse4 -mmmx -pipe"
31 CXXFLAGS=${CFLAGS}