From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 20:11:44
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 04/01/2013 03:26 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 01:44:18PM -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:
5 >>>> On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>>> Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:
7 >>>>>> On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>>>>> Pandu Poluan wrote:
9 >>>>>>>>
10 >>>>>>>> Since it's obvious that upsteam has this "my way or the highway"
11 >>>>>>>> mentality, I'm curious about whether eudev (and mdev) exhibits the
12 >>>>>>>> same behavior...
13 >>>>>>>>
14 >>>>>>> I synced yesterday and I didn't see the news alert. Last eudev
15 update
16 >>>>>>> was in Feb. so I *guess* not. It seems to be a "udev" thing.
17 That is
18 >>>>>>> why I mentioned eudev to someone else that was having this issue
19 with a
20 >>>>>>> server setup.
21 >>>>>> I'd guess eudev will eventually do the same, although I hope that, it
22 >>>>>> being a separate codebase, makes it easier to adopt some solution
23 like
24 >>>>>> the old rule generator, instead of using udev's approach.
25 >>>>>>
26 >>>>>> The udev upstream may have its issues, but there's actually a
27 point in
28 >>>>>> removing this, the approach there was so far was just a dirty hack.
29 >>>>>>
30 >>>>>
31 >>>>> Thing is, it works for me. The old udev worked, eudev works but
32 I'm not
33 >>>>> sure what hoops I would have to go through to get the new udev
34 working,
35 >>>>> most likely the same ones others here are going through now. For
36 once,
37 >>>>> I'm not having to deal with some broken issue. < knock on wood >
38 >>>>>
39 >>>>> My current uptime is about 190 days. May hit it still but I'm
40 certainly
41 >>>>> hoping I don't.
42 >>>> And, at least now, I have got enough knowledge to know whether it
43 >>>> affects me or not. But the sad thing is that I got most of that
44 >>>> knowledge *after* the first of these versions without the old
45 script was
46 >>>> stabilized.
47 >>>>
48 >>>
49 >>>
50 >>> I switched to eudev when the separate /usr thing popped up. While I am
51 >>> watching this thread and sort of taking mental notes, I'm hoping this is
52 >>> not a eudev thing, even in the future.
53 >>
54 >> You know that both udev and eudev have exactly the same issue with
55 >> separate /usr right?
56 >>
57 >> The problem there isn't in the udev code, but it has to do with what is
58 >> happening in rules that other packages install.
59 >
60 > As I recall, the problem is where the ebuild choses to install the code.
61 > Putting the udev code under /usr forces the issue on systems where it
62 > would otherwise not be an issue.
63 >
64 > Putting the udev code under / avoids that issue, but opens up the system
65 > to the "silently fail" thing upstream liked to use as the basis of
66 > "separate /usr is broken"
67 >
68 > So, there are three conceivable configurations (initramfs
69 notwithstanding):
70 >
71 > 1. With systems which don't require /usr binaries before /usr would be
72 > mounted, separate /usr is not a problem.
73 >
74 > 2. With systems which require /usr binaries for some features before
75 > /usr would be mounted, those features will silently fail.
76 >
77 > 3. With systems which require /usr binaries to mount /usr, all hell
78 > breaks loose.
79 >
80 > Putting the udev code under /usr moves all udev systems from group 2
81 > into group 3. In a sense, this fixes those systems because the admin is
82 > forced to address the silent failures he was previously unaware of. It
83 > also means pissing off a bunch of people who had features silently
84 > failing...but they probably didn't know or care about those features in
85 > the first place.
86 >
87 > It also moves all systems from group 1 into group 3...which is simply
88 wrong.
89 >
90 > So long as eudev keeps its install path at / instead of /usr, admins in
91 > group 1 will probably be perfectly happy.
95 +1 Happy I am. lol
96
97 Dale
98
102 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
103 how you interpreted my words!