From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4 installation
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:07:01
1 Massimiliano Ziccardi wrote:
2 > Hi all.
3 >
4 > Reading
5 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml#kde_portage
6 >
7 > I found the following sentence:
8 >
9 > 8x------
10 > KDE 4 is the current KDE version supported by upstream.
11 > 8x------
12 >
13 > However, if I try to install KDE 4.2, it says KDE 4.2 is masked...
14 >
15 > Is it right? Do I have to unmask it to install KDE 4.2, even if it is
16 > the current KDE version supported by upstream?
17 >
18 > (I tried to follow the instruction and unmasking using the provided
19 > file, but I met lot of other masked packages...)
20 >
21 > Should I wait for KDE 4 to become unmasked?
22 >
23 > Thank you,
24 > Massimiliano
25
26 Just to add a little more info. When it says that KDE is basically only
27 supporting KDE4, that just means there is no more "features" being added
28 to KDE3 and most likely only a few bug or security fixes. They may fix
29 some major problem but they are mostly concentrating on KDE4.
30
31 If you want to install KDE4, check out autounmask. It is a neat little
32 tool to deal with all the dependencies that KDE4 needs.
33
34 Dale
35