From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Poor sound quality
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 20:56:24
1 On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > At the risk of starting a flamewar, did you recently install a "sound
3 > server" (e.g. pulseaudio/phonon/whatever)? Can you temporarily disable
4 > it and see how the sound comes out?
5
6 Walter,
7
8 Thank you for your tip. This is the sort of thinking that will
9 ultimately lead to a solution.
10
11 I installed audio a couple years ago when setting up Gentoo on this
12 machine for the first. time. I followed the handbook. Since that day
13 I never again looked at my sound card setup. I do not know what is a
14 "sound server" and I certainly never installed one (unless part of the
15 install handbook has me install one).
16
17 Assuming for a moment that I did install a "sound server" and that I
18 want to disable it in order to perform your test, 1) How do I
19 determine which sound servers, if any, are installed? 2) How do I
20 disable them?
21
22 FYI it appears I have phonon installed but not pulseaudio:
23
24 * media-sound/pulseaudio
25 Latest version available: 2.1-r1
26 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
27
28 * media-libs/phonon
29 Latest version available: 4.6.0-r1
30 Latest version installed: 4.6.0-r1