From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub2 or kernel config - unable to properly boot [CLOSED]
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:50:54
1 2013/8/29 Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
4 > 2013/8/29 Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
5 >
6 >> In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
7 >> >>
8 >> >> search for CONSOLE in this file and find:
9 >> >>
10 >> >> # exec >${CONSOLE} <${CONSOLE} 2>&1
11 >> >>
12 >> >> Just remove the hash at the start of the line, rebuild my initramfs
13 >> >> and it is ready to go.
14 >> >>
15 >> >> --
16 >> >> Regards,
17 >> >> Gregory.
18 >> >>
19 >> >>
20 >> >
21 >> > Thanks Gregory.
22 >> >
23 >> > I really would like to find that partition number limitation on
24 >> genkernel
25 >> > in the docs.
26 >>
27 >> I've never had that problem but then I've always made /boot my first
28 >> partition.
29 >>
30 >> > I have already had that splash screen problem, very interesting your
31 >> > solution. That's a big reason I love Gentoo, always learning something
32 >> new.
33 >> > Funny thing is that checking the file you've mentioned in this new
34 >> system,
35 >> > it has no hash at that line (line number 13, right?). On the other
36 >> working
37 >> > system, the same, no hash.
38 >>
39 >> No, the line is 149.
40 >>
41 >> You see, I've got this as part of my kernel command line:
42 >>
43 >> console=tty1
44 >>
45 >> The code section from the linuxrc file is part of the kernel command
46 >> line check as part of a bash(sh) "do" loop:
47 >>
48 >> CONSOLE=*|console=*)
49 >> CONSOLE=${x#*=}
50 >> CONSOLE=$(basename ${CONSOLE})
51 >> # exec >${CONSOLE} <${CONSOLE} 2>&1
52 >>
53 >> If you change your "console=" value on the command line then the new
54 >> console choice is redirected. If the hash is in place then the
55 >> console is not redirected and usually you get console output writing all
56 >> over your splash screen.
59 >> > I'm using genkernel-3.4.45.1 on both systems, perhaps not the same as
60 >> you.
61 >> >
62 >> > Regarding that last issue, the message complaining that the root
63 >> partition
64 >> > is not a valid block device _is still there_, only masked by the splash
65 >> > (which now is "verbose").
66 >> >
67 >> > I was optimistic in believing everything would work as expected once I
68 >> > found that detail.
69 >>
70 >> I'm not sure I can help you here. My root filesystem is on an LVM volume
71 >> (as are all the rest of my filesystems except for my /boot partition.
72 >>
73 >> --
74 >> Regards,
75 >> Gregory.
78 > Thanks, Gregory.
81 > Best regards,
82 > Francisco
86 For all who might be interested, I've reinstalled/rebuilt/reemerged
87 everything from stage3 up during the night (I've saved the "world" file, it
88 helped a lot).
89
90 Now everything works. I have a backup copy of all file system when things
91 were not working, and I will do another one now. When I get some time to
92 spare, I will compare both and try to figure out what happened.
93
94 Thanks to all!
95 Francisco