From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To Wifi or not to Wifi...
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 17:39:18
1 * Meino.Cramer@×××.de <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> [150728 13:25]:
2 > Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> [15-07-28 19:08]:
3 > > * Meino.Cramer@×××.de <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> [150728 11:28]:
4 > > [..SNIP..]
5 > > > Hi Todd,
6 > > >
7 > > > thanks for your help! :)
8 > > >
9 > > > I will to adjust the config file and see what will happen...
10 > > > Dont worry about the password...it is a fake one. If everything is
11 > > > running fine, if will choose a more random one.
12 > > >
13 > > > By the way...While tumbling down the google hole ;) I came across
14 > > > "hostapd" which exactly seems to be build for the purpose I want: An access point.
15 > > >
16 > > > BUT:
17 > > > I could not decide, what tutorial is correct:
18 > > > Do I still need wpa_supplicant with hostapd or
19 > > > Don't I neeed wpa_supplicant?
20 > > >
21 > > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
22 > > > Best regards,
23 > > > Meino
24 > >
25 > > Hi Meino,
26 > >
27 > > I don't think you need wpa_supplicant if you're using hostapd (unless
28 > > you need to also connect to a WAP in additional to being a WAP
29 > > yourself, and in that case I don't know if it requires a different
30 > > interface to do that.)
31 > >
32 > > I think wpa_supplicant is a supplicant (i.e., client only) component.
33 > >
34 > > But I could be wrong and hopefully someone else will chime in with more
35 > > hostapd experience than I have.
36 > >
37 > > Regards,
38 > >
39 > > Todd
42 > Hi,
43 >
44 > Slowly but surely I got a lot of ants in my head...or it feels like.
45 > There are SO MANY tutorial out there and every doc says something
46 > different.
47 >
48 > No I got this:
49 >
50 > >rfkill list
51 > 1: phy1: Wireless LAN
52 > Soft blocked: yes
53 > Hard blocked: no
54 >
55 > Damn! This is the by far the most complicated thing which came across
56 > my way with linux...
59 > Best regards,
60 > Meino
64 Hi Meino,
65
66 Since it's soft blocked I think you need an:
67
68 rfkill unblock wifi
69
70 But I haven't had to worry about rfkill before so might have it wrong.
71
72 Todd