From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] strange entries in messages
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 00:18:23
1 About a week ago I noticed a couple entries in /var/log/messages (as
2 reported by logwatch) that seemed odd. They have appeared a couple
3 times since, but they don't appear at the same time in the logfile, but
4 I think they happen on the same day.
5
6 One of the entries is a Usage: message from dhcp, as though something
7 tried to restart the DHCP server.
8
9 The other is "Re-execs of init: 1 times". I found some references to
10 this on the 'net, but generally when discussing prelink. I don't have
11 prelink installed, though.
12
13 I've checked the log file and nothing interesting happens just before or
14 just after these messages. I can't find any mention of dhcp or init in
15 any of the cron files or logrotate files that might be starting it.
16 There are no entries in /var/spool/cron/crontabs that might be doing it.
17
18 Has someone cracked my system?
21 -M
22
23 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
24 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.