From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Gentoo 64bit from 32bit running enviroment
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:08:22
1 On Saturday 26 December 2009 14:05:52 Francisco Ares wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKinnon
3 <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
4 > > On Thursday 24 December 2009 16:33:26 Carlos Moyano Cubillos wrote:
5 > > > Dear friends,
6 > > >
7 > > > I have a gentoo system running 32bit .. and I have a 30GB partition
8 > > > available on which I would like to install a 64bit Gentoo to test for
9 > > > 64bit extensions processor supports .
10 > > >
11 > > >
12 > > > someone could help me and tell me how to proceed with this
13 > > > installation from my running system without having to reboot with a
14 > > > livecd.
15 > >
16 > > You have to reboot with a LiveCD.
17 > >
18 > > Your running 32 bit kernel does not support 64 bit instructions and there
19 > > is
20 > > no magic voodoo to make it possible. The CPU might understand 64 bit
21 > > instructions but the running kernel that drives it definitely does not.
22 > >
23 > > --
24 > > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
25 >
26 > I don't know for sure, but I would guess that if you don't try to use any
27 > file from the new 64 bit partition, that would be fine.
28 >
29 > AFAIK you can install a 64 bit system using the 32 bit livecd.
30 >
31 > Just a guess, though
32
33 Think it through. The OP wants to install a 64 bit OS using a running 32 bit
34 system. Now, this can work with a pure binary distro - you are just copying
35 files after all with those installs.
36
37 But this is Gentoo, and he'll have to build something sometime. The absolute
38 minimum is to build a 64 kernel as that is not supplied in binary form. How
39 will a running 32 bit system generate 64 bit code?
40
41 At some point he's going to have to reboot, even if just to use the new OS.
42 But before he uses it for real, he'll have to rebuild most of it. That will
43 take a good few hours as opposed to the 20 minutes or so to do the original
44 install. What has he saved? Very little - 20 minutes at most.
45
46 Far easier to just reboot into a LiveCD and install from there. No sense in
47 spending large numbers of dollars to save small numbers of pennies
50 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com