From: "Håkon Alstadheim" <hakon@×××××××××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What is current "worst practice" for maximum bells&whistles?
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 09:14:24
1 What is a good strategy for setting use-flags to get the most out of a
2 fairly recent graphics card these days?
3
4 It used to be (for me at least) that I just made sure I had the latest
5 opengl and associated libs, and the latest mesa if my card was
6 supported. These days things get more complicated, especially if you
7 want to try out KDE and plasma alongside Gnome.
8
9 Do I just turn everything on globally (wayland egl gles gles1 gles2
10 opengl mesa gtk* ) , and then go through all conflicts one by one ? If
11 not, what flags do I set globally, and which packages do I add specific
12 use-flags to?
13
14 My primary desktop is just fluxbox, but occasionally I like to run both
15 KDE and Gnome stuff with everything turned on to the max.
16
17 I have plenty of CPU, so the stuff with "embedded" in the descriptions
18 sound like I should leave them alone, but when I get down to resolving
19 conflicts, it feels like I am going against the grain, with cascading
20 dependencies leading into a murky mess of details.
21
22 Some road signs, anyone?