From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A few (gentoo-newbie) questions (mainly about binary packages)
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 00:42:35
1 Hi,
2
3 Most of your questions have been answered by more knowledgeable people
4 on the list than I. However, I do I one comment:
5
6 Richard Neill wrote:
7
8 >4)Does anyone know of a good resource for ex-mandriva users?
12 I can't say enough good things about Gentoo documentation:
13
14 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
15
16 It has helped me out a number of times. I'm a relatively new Gentoo
17 user as well (Sept. 2005) and I'm not a techy. I used Redhat and then,
18 Fedora for about 4 years.
19
20 People on this list have been great and initially pointed me toward
21 various Gentoo documentation. I've finally clued in and realized what
22 an invaluable resource this is. Case in point:
23
24 I recently installed Gentoo on my laptop. It's a 2.4 gHz with a 40 gig
25 hard drive, so perhaps it's a little more powerful than yours. I
26 followed the steps in the Gentoo handbook and built ACPI into the
27 kernel. Once I got to the boot stage, I had problems because I didn't
28 follow the ACPI guide and I should have. Once I followed the steps in
29 that, I was able to compile xwindows and kde-meta without a hitch.
30
31 And for what it's worth, I had never compiled a kernel before using
32 Gentoo and now, I can do it without being scared out of my mind - I may
33 not be an expert, but I'm getting better and I am learning. And as I
34 said, I'm not a techy - I could be someones grandmother! :-)
35
36 I have to say that I am totally biased - Gentoo is the best!
37
38 Anyway, that's my 2 cents! :-)
39
40 Regards,