From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Scanner and weird streaking
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 02:28:44
1 Howdy all,
2
3 I have a HP scanjet 4570c flatbed scanner.  I bought it used years ago
4 and most of the time, it works just fine.  On occasion tho, I get
5 something weird.  When I scan something, it adds some pinkish colored
6 streaks.  I took a scrap sheet of paper and scanned the back of it. I
7 used a magic marker on some text that was there, also drew a smiley face
8 on it as well.  Anyway, the side with print is on the opposite side.
9 Basically, it is also seeing the back side of the paper.  I'm not sure
10 if that could cause this weird streaking but wanted to mention it.
11
12 At first, I thought it was something on the glass so I disassembled the
13 thing and cleaned it as best as I could.  When I put it back together, I
14 concentrated on the back side of the glass, since I have to disassemble
15 it to clean it.  I also clean the side the document goes on regularly.
16 If it changed, I can't tell it.  Another odd thing, the streaks change
17 depending on the document.  Sometimes you can barely see it, other times
18 it is awful.  I've not been able to reason out what makes the difference
19 tho.
20
21 I've got about the same results using Scanlite, Scanpage and XSane
22 software.  XSane may be a tiny bit better but it does vary at times.
23 There's not a lot of settings available.  I tend to use either 100dpi or
24 300 dpi for resolution thingy. I fiddled around a bit but it doesn't
25 seem to help.  This is a link to the page I described above.  It's a
26 little sizey so I didn't want to attach, for those who have email
27 clients that puke a lot.  lol
28
29 https://freeimage.host/i/HTQLpWb
30
31 You may notice that it is a little heavier at the top and gets lighter
32 as it goes down.  I've checked the glass, I can't find anything that
33 would cause this.  Is my scanner just going bad?  Am I doing something
34 wrong with a setting or something?  Any ideas?  Thoughts?
35
36 Thanks.
37
38 Dale
39
41
42 P. S.  After a couple weeks, my backup finished for that large directory
43 on the NAS.  I even did a update.  It took a while but it's done.  It
44 would have been sooner but we had a power failure, or two.  It got
45 really cold here.