From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Import SSL Certificate Authority
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:29:48
1 Hi all,
2
3 I use fetchmail to retrieve mail from my university's IMAP server
4 with SSL enabled. After an upgrade to the latest stable version,
5 whenever I run fetchmail, I get the following output:
6
7 [12:12 PM]wwong ~ $ fetchmail
8 fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to get local issuer certificate
9 fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: certificate not trusted
10 fetchmail: Server certificate verification error: unable to verify the first certificate
11
12 But since I didn't request fetcmail to strictly match certificates,
13 the mail still downloads fine. Now, the server certificate from the
14 university mail server is signed by the university's computing staff,
15 and I know that if I use webmail or other resources, I can download
16 the certificate and, when a dialog pops up asking if I want to trust
17 the CA, I can set it so that firefox won't ask anymore in the future.
18
19 My question is, how do I import a certificate authority so that
20 fetchmail would recognize it? From the man page it says
21
22 --sslcertck
23 (Keyword: sslcertck) Causes fetchmail to strictly check the
24 server certificate against a set of local trusted certificates
25 (see the sslcertpath option). If the server certificate is not
26 signed by one of the trusted ones (directly or indirectly), the
27 SSL connection will fail. This checking should prevent man-in-
28 the-middle attacks against the SSL connection. Note that CRLs
29 are seemingly not currently supported by OpenSSL in certificate
30 verification! Your system clock should be reasonably accurate
31 when using this option!
32
33 --sslcertpath <directory>
34 (Keyword: sslcertpath) Sets the directory fetchmail uses to look
35 up local certificates. The default is your OpenSSL default one.
36 The directory must be hashed as OpenSSL expects it - every time
37 you add or modify a certificate in the directory, you need to
38 use the c_rehash tool (which comes with OpenSSL in the tools/
39 subdirectory).
40
41 so I guess my question is how to import a certificate into OpenSSL?
42
43 Thanks,
44
45 Willie
46 --
47 Bakers trade bread recipes on a knead to know basis.
48 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 110 days, 9:37
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list