From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] For what is emerge waiting for...?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 19:41:57
1 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > no critism or anything else negative implied here...
5 > ,..I am just asking out of coriosity:
6 >
7 > This day I am busy compiling all the application,
8 > which are installed on my old system.
9 >
10 > I gave emerge 12 threads and 6 cores to do its work
11 > (The CPU is a 6 core one).
12 >
13 > I start emerge with a bunch of packages to compile and
14 > install.
15 >
16 > And it happens from time to time that all cores seem to be
17 > on holiday: No load at all. And emerge sits there and waits...
18 > And the harddisk is not busy at all...no blinkenlights,
19 > nothing.
20 >
21 > Would it be possible, that there is kind of temporary
22 > dead lock of some kind...when emerge is started with more
23 > then one core?
24 >
25 > What else than writing to disk and using the cores?
26 >
27 > Cheers!
28 > Meino
29
30 I have seen this too. I read ages ago that some packages don't like
31 parallel jobs so the dev sets it to 1 or 2 depending on what works best
32 to limit those and build failures.  I don't know if that still applies
33 to many packages or not but it is one possibility.  I think it is set in
34 the ebuild so one may could look and see if that is the case.
35
36 Another option, it could be something the build process is doing that
37 can't be done in parallel and is set by upstream.  It may not be in the
38 ebuild but is in the sources itself.  It does seem to be a bottleneck
39 but if it is set that way, there may be a good reason.  When compiling,
40 I like to see my CPU utilized to the max but if it isn't possible, then
41 I let it do its thing.  I know LOo does some strange things when it is
42 compiling.  It will compile for a long time with little memory usage but
43 all CPU cores at the max, even tho the work space is in tmpfs, and then
44 all of a sudden, it starts eating memory until it is using several GBs.
45 Then it compiles some more and starts the install process.  I have no
46 idea what makes it do that but it's the usual thing for LOo.
47
48 I'm sure someone else will have more ideas.
49
50 Dale
51
53
54 P. S. Back to the garden.  We supposed to stay home anyway so I'm taking
55 down the electric fence, posts and getting ready to plow.  Dang it's wet
56 out there tho.  At least I have a lift disc this year tho.  Maybe I
57 won't get stuck. :/